After putting their lives on the line to defend our nation, our veterans deserve world-class care and benefits as they transition to civilian life. Unfortunately, recent abuses, systemic failures, and shocking scandals at the Veterans Administration have failed our veterans. Tragically, many of these abuses and scandals have contributed to a nation-wide epidemic of veteran suicides that shames our nation. In light of these challenges, business as usual is no longer an option. We need innovative and bold solutions to help our veterans heal from the scars of war, both seen and unseen, while bringing transparency, accountability, and modernization to the VA. I am under no illusions that this will be easy, but this is a mission we cannot afford to fail.
- H.R. 873 - Global War on Terrorism Memorial Act
- H. Res 967 - Expressing support for the designation of October 23 as a national day of remembrance of the tragic 1983 terrorist bombing of the United States Marine Corps Barracks in Beirut, Lebanon
- H.R. 3042 - The Dr. Chris Kirkpatrick Whistleblower Protection Act
- H.R. 1133 - Veterans Transplant Coverage Act
- H.R. 2327 – The Puppies Assisting Wounded Servicemembers (PAWS) Act
- H.R. 2601 – The Veterans Increased Choice for Transplanted Organs and Recovery (VICTOR) Act
- H.R. 2519 – The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Act
- H.R. 1943 – Restoring Maximum Mobility to Our Nation’s Veterans Act
- H.R. 299 – Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act
- H.R. 4663 -- Know Your Vets Act
- H.R. 3640 -- Department of Veterans Affairs Information Technology Restructuring Act
- H.R. 3949 -- Veterans Apprenticeship and Labor Opportunity Reform (VALOR) Act **Became Law**
- H.R. 2225 – Veterans Dog Training Therapy Act
- H.R. 632 – Mark Takai Atomic Veterans Healthcare Parity Act
- H.R. 1683 – National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 3036 – DD-214 Modernization Act
- H.R. 1928 – Families of Fallen Servicemembers Act
- H.R. 3605 – Fairness for Korean DMZ Veterans Act of 2017
- H.R. 2225 – Veterans Dog Training Therapy Act
- H.R. 1972 – VA Billing Accountability Act
- H.R. 3897 - Gold Star Family Support and Installation Act of 2017
- H.R. 1206 - Reducing Barriers for Veterans Education Act of 2017
- H. Res. 214 – Expressing support for designation of a Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day
- H. Res. 737 - Expressing support for the designation of March 2, 2018, as “Gold Star Families Remembrance Day”
- H. Res. 129 - Calling on the Department of Defense, other appropriate elements of the Federal Government, and foreign governments to resolutely continue efforts to investigate, recover, and identify all United States personnel designated as unaccounted-for from past wars and conflicts around the world.
- H. Con. Res. 41 – Commemorating the 100th anniversary of the United States declaration of war against Germany and entry into World War I
- H. Con. Res. 59 – Recognizing the 75th anniversary of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
- H. Con. Res. 45 – Expressing the Sense of Congress About Vietnam Blue Water Veterans
More on Veterans
Congressman Mike Gallagher (R-WI) today welcomed veterans from Northeast Wisconsin traveling to Washington, D.C. as part of the Old Glory Honor Flight. Gallagher met the group of 92 veterans at the World War II memorial to thank them for their service.
Like many Americans, I still vividly remember where I was on September 11, 2001. As a senior in high school, I was overcome with shock and horror as the Twin Towers collapsed. And while I didn’t know it at the time, the attack would have a profound impact on my life.
Wisconsin State Journal
By: Mike Gallagher
July 22, 2019
Never leave a fellow warrior behind. That much is obvious in times of war, but the same spirit can be hard to find beyond the battlefield.
The transition back to civilian life is filled with obstacles large and small. And just as we took care of each other in combat, I believe veterans have a duty to make sure their fellow service members don’t get left behind as they reintegrate into society.
Rep. Mike Gallagher (WI-08), alongside Rep. Ron Kind (WI-03), yesterday introduced H.Res.483, a resolution recognizing the importance of veteran-to-veteran mentorship programs. Wisconsin has a number of established veteran mentorship programs which seek to connect returning service members with veterans who have transitioned back to civilian life. Click here to read the text of the resolution.
After a few busy weeks in Washington D.C., Congressman Gallagher was happy to be back home in Wisconsin to meet with constituents and honor the fallen during Memorial Day Weekend. Catch some highlights of his visits across the Eighth District below.
Washington, D.C. – Last night the U.S. House of Representatives unanimously passed the Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act. The bipartisan bill co-sponsored by Rep. Gallagher extends VA benefits for veterans who served in Vietnamese coastal waters, or along the Korean demilitarized zone, during the Vietnam Era and are suffering from diseases linked to Agent Orange exposure.
Washington, D.C. – Today Rep. Mike Gallagher, along with his colleague Rep. Danny Davis (D-IL), launched the Trauma-Informed Care Caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives. The bipartisan caucus will work to increase awareness in Congress of Trauma-Informed Care (TIC), the science-based treatment framework used to address the root causes of major public health issues in the U.S., including addiction, mental health, and obesity.
On Veterans Day in 2017, Rep. Mike Gallagher officially launched the Northeast Wisconsin (NEW) Battalion and Welcome Home Sponsor Program in Green Bay. The program’s purpose is to provide recently returned servicemen and women in Northeast Wisconsin a sponsor or guide to help eliminate any frustration they encounter upon re-entering civilian life. Sponsors will help guide veterans to the many services and programs that are available to them in Brown County and the state of Wisconsin.
Wisconsin Representative Mike Gallagher launches a new sponsor program for veterans returning from overseas.
The program is called the Northeast Wisconsin (NEW) Battalion and Welcome Home Sponsor Program in Brown County Friday.
Green Bay, WI – Today Rep. Mike Gallagher officially launched the Northeast Wisconsin (NEW) Battalion and Welcome Home Sponsor Program in Green Bay.