After putting their lives on the line to defend our nation, our veterans deserve world-class care and benefits as they transition to civilian life. Unfortunately, recent abuses, systemic failures, and shocking scandals at the Veterans Administration have failed our veterans. Tragically, many of these abuses and scandals have contributed to a nation-wide epidemic of veteran suicides that shames our nation. In light of these challenges, business as usual is no longer an option. We need innovative and bold solutions to help our veterans heal from the scars of war, both seen and unseen, while bringing transparency, accountability, and modernization to the VA. I am under no illusions that this will be easy, but this is a mission we cannot afford to fail.
- H.R. 873 - Global War on Terrorism Memorial Act
- H. Res 967 - Expressing support for the designation of October 23 as a national day of remembrance of the tragic 1983 terrorist bombing of the United States Marine Corps Barracks in Beirut, Lebanon
- H.R. 3042 - The Dr. Chris Kirkpatrick Whistleblower Protection Act
- H.R. 1133 - Veterans Transplant Coverage Act
- H.R. 2327 – The Puppies Assisting Wounded Servicemembers (PAWS) Act
- H.R. 2601 – The Veterans Increased Choice for Transplanted Organs and Recovery (VICTOR) Act
- H.R. 2519 – The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Act
- H.R. 1943 – Restoring Maximum Mobility to Our Nation’s Veterans Act
- H.R. 299 – Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act
- H.R. 4663 -- Know Your Vets Act
- H.R. 3640 -- Department of Veterans Affairs Information Technology Restructuring Act
- H.R. 3949 -- Veterans Apprenticeship and Labor Opportunity Reform (VALOR) Act **Became Law**
- H.R. 2225 – Veterans Dog Training Therapy Act
- H.R. 632 – Mark Takai Atomic Veterans Healthcare Parity Act
- H.R. 1683 – National Purple Heart Hall of Honor Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 3036 – DD-214 Modernization Act
- H.R. 1928 – Families of Fallen Servicemembers Act
- H.R. 3605 – Fairness for Korean DMZ Veterans Act of 2017
- H.R. 2225 – Veterans Dog Training Therapy Act
- H.R. 1972 – VA Billing Accountability Act
- H.R. 3897 - Gold Star Family Support and Installation Act of 2017
- H.R. 1206 - Reducing Barriers for Veterans Education Act of 2017
- H. Res. 214 – Expressing support for designation of a Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day
- H. Res. 737 - Expressing support for the designation of March 2, 2018, as “Gold Star Families Remembrance Day”
- H. Res. 129 - Calling on the Department of Defense, other appropriate elements of the Federal Government, and foreign governments to resolutely continue efforts to investigate, recover, and identify all United States personnel designated as unaccounted-for from past wars and conflicts around the world.
- H. Con. Res. 41 – Commemorating the 100th anniversary of the United States declaration of war against Germany and entry into World War I
- H. Con. Res. 59 – Recognizing the 75th anniversary of Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton
- H. Con. Res. 45 – Expressing the Sense of Congress About Vietnam Blue Water Veterans
More on Veterans
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) today announced he would begin accepting nominations for the Northeast Wisconsin Veteran of the Year Award, a recognition that will honor a veteran in Northeast Wisconsin who continues to display exemplary service after they return home. This is the first year the congressman is soliciting nominations for this award.
We are now accepting applications for the 2021 Veteran of the Year Award
- Must be a veteran of one of the five Armed Forces of the United States, including Reserve or National Guard, or United States Merchant Marines.
- Nominated Veterans must live within the Eighth Congressional District, which encompasses all of Brown, Calumet, Door, Kewaunee, Marinette, Menominee, Oconto, Outagamie, Shawano, and Waupaca Counties, as well as part of Winnebago County.
- Must be able to supply a DD-214.
WASHINGTON, DC – Rep. Mike Gallagher yesterday joined Rep. Glenn Grothman and Senator Ron Johnson in introducing companion legislation to the U.S. House and U.S. Senate to award Fond du Lac native Lt. Col. James “Maggie” Megellas the Medal of Honor. The bills authorize and request President Joe Biden to posthumously award Megellas with the United States’ highest military honor for the courage he showed during the Battle of the Bulge. Megellas was born in Fond du Lac, WI and graduated from Ripon college in 1942. Rep.
Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI) and Rep.
We are four veterans—one Navy helicopter pilot who flew missions throughout Europe and the Middle East, and three Marines who served in the same unit during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. This Veterans Day, after another bitter election, we need to focus on uniting our country and re-instilling a sense of duty that transcends petty partisanship. That is why we are now working together to improve and expand opportunities for more Americans to serve their country—in or out of uniform.
Rep. Mike Gallagher (R-WI), alongside Rep. Jason Crow (D-CO), today led a bipartisan sunrise run on the National Mall to raise awareness for the Global War on Terrorism (GWOT) Memorial. Last week, Gallagher and Crow introduced the GWOT Memorial Location Act, which would authorize the establishment of a GWOT memorial in the Reserve section of the National Mall.